Give me food, and nobody gets hurt…;)

You ever have one of those days when you see this too early?  Or maybe an even smaller number? (horror, horror!!)


I pride myself on the fact that I’m usually a morning person.  I can get up early, not drink coffee, and be absolutely fine and peppy.  That wasn’t me this morning though.  I was up for most of the night, continuosly checking out my clock to see if the alarm would be going off soon.  Then 5:45 came around, and I was up and out of bed.  By 6:10 I was showered and ready for breakfast…and even by that point I would have preferred crawling back under the covers then heading to the kitchen.  That’s when I know I’m tired. 😉

Last night I prepared this morning’s breakfast so it would be super quick.  I mixed all the dry ingredients together for my oat cakes…


…and simply added the soymilk this morning.  While the pan was heating up, I mashed the banana and added some walnuts on top for dipping.  Once the griddle was nice and hot, on went the pancakes.  And they came out super tasty this morning because I cooked them much less after I flipped them.  They were just slightly doughy on the inside, and I really, really like them that way. 😀

I considered having a bowl of cereal at first because my stomach wasn’t really with it this morning.  I was over-tired and feeling a little anxious about volunteering at the hospital for my first day (It’s worse then when I first started school…haha 😉 ).  But then I figured I could probably use the extra food for fuel during the long morning since I didn’t know when I’d be eating next.


Check out my very snazzy volunteer uniform.  Tres Chic, right? 😉  haha…


Last night, in addition to creating a headstart on my breakfast, I packed a hodgepodge of a lunch.  I wasn’t sure if there would be breaks, if I’d be eating in the cafetaria, if I’d have a lunch, etc, so I decided to bring some various things along.

  • fresh pineapple
  • dannon plain yogurt
  • hummus (which went uneaten)
  • carrots and cucumbers
  • T each of granola, crushed flax and raisins for yogurt mix-ins
  • Kashi honey roasted almond bar


All packed neatly into this handy case. 😀


Then I poured myself an iced soy misto (1 c. coffee to 1/2 c. soy), and off I went! 

The food service manager went over the sales, inventory, and other businessy sides of the food distribution with me today.  It was interesting to see and get an understanding of, since I have no idea when it comes to vendors, brokers or procurement among other things.  I took a ton of notes, and plan on going back for Friday…

1:00 came and went, and I realized that I was getting super hungry.  I can see now, why its recommended not to go beyond 3-4 hrs without eating.  I was going on 6-1/2 hrs without food, and I could have done some serious damage in the kitchen. 😉  I almost melted when I saw a plate of chocolate brownies cross in front of me as it was being prepared by the workers, and the smells of bacon and eggs were tantalizing me.  I don’t even like bacon!  I would have been willing to eat anything within eyesight, now that my blood sugar was dropping and my stomach was rumbling.

Never a good thing…;)

Lesson learned?  I’m going to bring along a soft snack that doesn’t make noise so I can discreetly munch on it if we’re in the middle of a discussion or reviewing the inventory or what-not.  I’m going to need something to tide me over and keep me going so I don’t get so crazy hungry. 😀

In addition to my packed lunch that I finally ate when I came home around 1:30, I also ate this big salad with garbanzo beans and a tsp of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  By that point I was finally full and content…whew! 😀


I headed out for a 4-mile walk to beat the thunderstorms we’re supposed to be getting later.  I was hoping to fit in a run, but my eyelids are practically drooping.  So a nice walk sounded perfect, along with some light yoga.  I’m determined to be able to do the crow pose eventually. 😀 

For a snack later on, I had a toast with 1/4 an avocado and fresh black pepper. 


Making dinner is such a relaxing activity for me…especially when there’s not a huge rush or nobody in the house is too starving (that’s when we resort to eating half cooked veggies or crunchy rice…;)…thankfully that doesn’t happen often, haha.)  Tonight I had plenty of time…:D

There was some wild caught cod on sale for really cheap last weak at the supermarket, so I picked up two pounds worth for tonights meal.  It’s so easy to prepare a nice simple dish…for 2 lbs. of fish, I simply melted a T. of butter, and sauteed one onion in it.  Then I poured it on top of the salted & peppered cod in a baking pan (coated with spray), and cooked in a 350 oven for 16-25 minutes (depending on thickness…it should flake a little when it’s completely cooked.)

On the side I had roasted brussell sprouts (cooked in a T. olive oil with salt and pepper) and a whole grain blend of rice.

YUM!  Hit the spot…:D


And the finale was a graham cracker square with a pat of peanut butter and some swirly chips. 😀


I need to check out my homework assignments tonight and get ready for tomorrow’s day with the RD.  I’m really excited, and hoping I can get some sleep tonight too! 😀 

Exercise: 4-mile walk + very light yoga.  I’m hoping for a good run or x-long walk tomorrow because my legs are feeling restless and because it’s supposed to be in the 60’s and sunny by tomorrow afternoon.  Woohoo!! 😀


15 thoughts on “Give me food, and nobody gets hurt…;)

  1. I really need to try those oatcakes! Last summer I had to wake up at 4:30 four days a week for clinical.. yikes! Good luck tomorrow!

  2. Congrats on your first day! Can’t wait to hear what your day is like with the RD. I bet getting up will be at least a little bit easier tomorrow. 🙂

  3. It’s my personal motto that anything before 6:30am is TOO early…too bad that’s most days for me! It’s smart to make breakfast the night before though, at least then you have something to motivate you to get out of bed : )

  4. wow, sounds like a very busy day! im a snacky person and always have snacks in between breakfast and lunch as theyre about 6 hours apart…ive gone without them before and i kow that feeling your talking about….you could just eat anything your so hungry. at least you know now to come prepared 🙂

    loce the graham cracker and Pb with choc chips idea 🙂

  5. You had some great-looking snacks! I like those swirly chips too. It’s funny how much reading about people drinking coffee makes me want it so badly! Only two more weeks of this deprivation…

  6. Pingback: Breakfast in a Jar « Running To Slow Things Down

  7. Pingback: All Things Green « Running To Slow Things Down

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s