Sometimes people ask me what the best detox diet is. This question comes up quite a bit after the holidays, when you might feel a little overindulged from all the festivities. 😉 My answer? Plain and simple: eat whole, natural foods…don’t starve yourself…exercise.
- Plan a quickie workout for the AM. Even a 20 minute walk will leave you feeling more refreshed and energized.
- Focus on fresh fruit throughout the day for rehydrating as well as taking in some important nutrients and fiber that your body may have been lacking the past few days.
- Drink lots of water if you’re feeling dehydrated and tired.
- Fill up on veggies. It’s okay that you didn’t sneak a ton in over the past few days of the holidays. Just make up for it by having a gourmet salad for lunch with the works, and a couple veggie side dishes with your dinner.
- Treat your body with respect: starvation only causes incredible hunger which leads to binging. It also leads to tearing down protein within your body in order to feed the brain. Avoid this by eating regular snacks and meals throughout the day.
My Current Breakfast Obsession…
Nicole bought me these adorable pancake shapers, and I’ve been in the process of perfecting how I use them (yes, it takes work for me to able to use a pancake shaper 😉 ). This time I made a breakfast cookie recipe, except I tweaked it just a little and heated it up on the griddle.
- 1/2 c. oats
- 1/2 mashed banana (other half saved for the top)
- 1/2 c. canned pumpkin
- 2 T. flax + 3 T. water (stir together before adding—it’s like an egg replacement)
- cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 2 T. soymilk
I just combined all the above, threw it on the hot griddle, then topped it with some almond butter and the other 1/2 a banana. Quite delightful. 😀
+ milk…this is the perfect breakfast for kids or kids at heart. 😉
By the time I got to the little gingerbread man, I decided he needed a little something, something. A dollop of cranberry sauce? Yes, please.
I like that “detox diet”. I hear of people eating only lemonade or something else ludacris and wonder why don’t they turn to real food?
Aww that has to be the cutest breakfast I’ve ever seen! I especially love the gingerbread man.. too cute!!
LOVE the pancake shapers!!!
Yum. Those breakfast cookies look good 🙂
Your detox diet is how I try to eat day to day. 🙂 TRY being the key word! I just feel so much better that way.
AMEN ON THAT DETOX! why it took me so long to just realize eating healthy is the best way to get back on track is beyond me.
that apron your sister got you is ADORABLE (obviously catching up on posts here), and i love your short haircut! super cute!
and your pancakes remind me of heart thrive cakes…you know those ones?
i am so glad you had a wonderful holiday – lots of love to you girl!
Oh Yum! I am so getting some frozen pumpkin out of the freezer to make your breakfast cookie now. I have to fun shapes though. I love yours 😉
Ahh I just bookmarked this recipe!!! I’ve been obsessed with oat pancakes lately but the vegan version is probably just as delish! Can’t wait to try it 🙂