This morning I tried adding some bran to my breakfast cookie!
- 1/2 c. oatmeal
- 1 T. peanut butter
- 1 smashed banana
- splash of milk
- cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 2 T. wheat bran
- 2 T. crushed flax
If you’ve ever tried bran muffin batter, you know exactly what this breakfast cookie tasted like. It had that lovely hint of bran which I loved. I also love how 2 T. wheat bran contains 3 g. fiber, lots of nutrients, and only 15 calories!
Served with a glass of milk and lots of water. 😀
We’re expecting snow and rain until next Thursday, so I was all prepared to bunker down today with a strength training routine. I made a change of plans when I realized the precipitation hadn’t yet started though. May as well take advantage of the clear weather and go for an 11-mile bike ride! 😀
There are definitely some challenges to winter biking:
- Slip ‘n’ Slide: I ride my mountain bike to avoid slipping or skidding on snow and sand. The thicker tires provide some grip, but it’s still important to be extra cautious on the snow and ice!
- The Big Chill: I thought my face would be chilling the most, but it turns out that my feet are the problem! I heard somewhere that an easy solution is to duct tape the front toe of your sneaker, which covers up the vents. However, I just threw on some thick wool socks, and it took care of that! 😀
- Vision: Both for me and the cars. Wearing bright colors (ie, yellows, greens, etc.) makes you more visible. And although I don’t personally have a pair of glasses, I’d recommend investing in a pair for when flurries start. It’s important to keep your eyes on the road, which can be a bit challenging with snow hitting your face. 😉
There are lots of perks to biking in the winter too. Like that feeling of satisfaction and refreshment after a long morning ride. Plus I was able to plan out a lot of my coconut presentation for tomorrow. Running makes me zone out…biking makes me think.
After a quick shower and adding a bit of makeup, I grabbed this snack to-go: an orange and a Fruit and Nuts Yogurt KIND bar. Another lovely flavor! 😀 I still like the Almond and Cashew the best so far, but this was one was chewy, sweet and fun to eat. I loved the yogurt!
Lunch was scrumptious! 😀 I had no idea what to expect from this meal, because I threw it together last night when I was tired from studying and homework. 😉 But the flavors all worked out really well together. I especially loved the splash of lemon. It added a touch of freshness and zing!
- 1 c. leftover brown rice
- 1/2 c. garbanzo beans & black beans
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 carrot, shredded finely
- about 1/4 tsp. cumin
- about 1/8 tsp. cayenne (a little less)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- splash of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
I brought along some almonds (about an ounce or 20 almonds) and a pear for an afternoon snack too.
Dinner was as much a hodgepodge as my lunch, but in a different kind of way. Still just as delicious. 😀
Lots of veggies! Turnips (boiled and mashed,) steamed green & wax beans, and peas.
There was also a recipe for Soba Noodles and Broccoli from a Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook (not to be confused with Molly’s Moosewood cookbooks, ) which I went back for seconds on. Soba noodles are one of my favorite types of noodles. They take approximately 2 minutes to cook, and they have a unique flavor all their own. This dish was so simple (think soysauce and hot red pepper with a bit of oil) and paired perfectly with the leftover orange marmalade chicken.
I love sampler plates full of variety and flavahs! 😀
Finale! I broke into the Valentines chocolate box and picked out a pretty caramel chocolate.
Tomorrow night I will be done all of the presentations and papers and exams that have been keeping me so busy over this past week! I plan on relaxing and taking a break by reading blogs, drinking tea, and journaling. So excited!
Busy day tomorrow, so I’m heading to bed ASAP!
What’s your favorite way to relax and unwind after a busy work/school week? I love reading a fun magazine, journaling, drinking tea, taking a bubble bath, and just taking the night off from plans and work. I think we all need a catch up day once in a while! 😀