Today feels just like a Friday to me, because a) I am all done classes for the week. b) I don’t have any homework tonight. c) I spent my evening with an iced starbucks coffee while meandering my way through Whole Foods.
To top it all off, I made a big ol’ batch of blueberry-banana muffins. I pulled out the Joy of Cooking to find a basic muffin recipe, and then preceded to add a bit of this and that as I went along.
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 c. milk
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. mashed, very ripe banana (about 1-1/2 bananas)
- 1-1/2 c. frozen blueberries
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients up to nutmeg.
- Whisk together next 7 ingredients up to banana in a separate bowl.
- Add blueberries to dry mix; stir until blueberries are coated with the flour.
- Add wet mix to dry mix. Stir just until moistened (do not overmix…this toughens the final product!)
- Pour batter into 12-muffin pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 17-20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
They’re ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean! 😀 Let ’em sit for a few minutes before popping them out and letting them cool on a wire rack.
They’re delicious hot from the oven, with a heavenly sweet aroma from the bananas and juicy blueberries. I ate mine with a fork and a handful of walnuts!
These have a subtle sweetness from the blueberries, and the flavor of banana mingles in for that extra touch. And they’re super fluffy. 😀
Question: Do you like to follow recipes word for word, or do you find yourself changing things up as you go?