As much as I am a planner, I hardly ever put much thought into which vegetables go into my grocery cart. Which ones don’t.
Sometimes I come home with a bright purple globe of an eggplant. Or a kholrabi. That was a fun one.
Today, my fridge was home to a fresh young bunch of asparagus.
I could eat asparagus like potato chips; one is never enough. I like the tender little spears sprinkled with lemon juice. I like them roasted to a brown bite of crispiness. I like them any which way, really.
But it is a fresh new year. And with it comes fresh new ideas (and sometimes, a fresh new bottles of balsamic vinegar!)
I can’t remember where the idea of mixing asparagus with eggs originally came from. All I recall is my mind swirling a million miles a minute as I added the ingredients together in my head.
Eggs. Pan roasted asparagus. Goat Cheese.
“How wonderfully tantalizing,” I thought to myself.
As an aside, I do hope that you never look past making yourself an omelette, for fear of messing things up.
Even the one and only Julia threw eggs around the kitchen, you know? It’s no biggie. Just repatch the eggs and carry on. Everything will turn out just fine in the end.
Just crumble a bit of your favorite cheese to hide any cracks or breaks. Nobody will know the difference.
Asparagus is delicious any which way you serve it. Especially when paired with eggs and cheese.
Scrambled Eggs with Pan Roasted Asparagus and Goat Cheese
Remember that it’s okay if the omelette breaks on you as you flip it! I like to think that a slightly messy omelette adds to the rustic appeal of things. 😉
You can easily substitute some of your other favorite veggies. Bell peppers, chopped spinach, roasted broccoli, mushrooms, et cetera. So many delicious possibilities. Enjoy! 😀
- About 1 lb. of fresh asparagus, washed with any tough stems removed
- 1 T. olive oil
- garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- balsamic vinegar
- 8 eggs + 2-3 egg whites
- splash of milk
- cheese of choice (I recommend goat or a fresh ricotta)
- In a medium frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add asparagus, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Cook until beginning to brown and tender but still firm. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, cook for another 1-2 minutes, and remove to a clean plate.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel, place back on heat, and spray with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, splash of milk, salt and pepper until well combined. Place in heated pan and cook, scraping down sides occasionally to let uncooked egg pour down to the edges (tilting pan here and there helps as well.)
- Once egg holds together, gently flip with a wide spatula, place asparagus on half the omelette, and flip over to “cover.” Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately. ENJOY! 😀
Question: What are some ways you make sure that your New Years Resolutions/Goals are met? I am a planner by nature. Writing things down, setting mini goals for myself and keeping a journal of all my accomplishments (and set backs too!) helps me to succeed. 😀