I have been on a French toast kick lately.
I think this is due in part to all of my frantic running around. Not ever really knowing if I’m coming or going.
I mean, it’s one thing to wake up and forget what day it is. It’s another thing entirely, to have my calendar virtually tied to my waist so that I will never forget where I’m supposed to be or where I’m supposed to go.
Yes. This is exactly why I have been on a French toast kick lately.
Because there’s something—something—comforting about having a few spare moments in the morning to just…mmm…breathe. I even read the newspaper(!!)
I can’t quite place my finger on it, but French toast, to me, signifies the very thought of slowing down. It’s relaxed and easy. Not at all fussy or needy.
Yes. I have been on a French toast kick lately. And I really don’t think I’ll be stopping any time soon.
Everyone has a favorite French toast recipe. This one is my favorite, go-to breakfast recipe for during the week. It feels special. It’s healthy. And it’s as simple as they come. Enjoy this breakfast with your favorite combination of fruit and nut butters. Blueberries and strawberries would be a wonderful touch, as would a thick and creamy Greek yogurt. Just have fun with it!
- 2 whole eggs (or 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites)
- splash of milk
- splash of vanilla
- dash of sea salt
- 2 slices Ezekiel bread (or your favorite whole wheat bread)
- 1 banana, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter
- sprinkle of coconut
- Heat nonstick pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and sea salt. Dunk in bread slices, flip to coat other side, and place on heated pan. Place bananas in pan alongside french toast. Let french toast cook until underside has browned. Flip and continue cooking until desired doneness. Bananas may be flipped at any time, as they begin to brown.
- Place french toast on plate, smash banana on top, and drizzle almond butter over the top. Sprinkle with coconut and ENJOY! 😀