Sometimes, it’s important to encourage summer along. Coax it out of hibernation. Give it a little pep talk…a little one-on-one.
And since cookouts scream summer to me—especially when they involve burgers—dinner became an obvious choice.
The sun was out all weekend long, well into today. It reached 75. Seventy-five! That is shorts and t-shirt weather at its finest. And I like to think that I played my part by firing up the grill.
Yes. I fired up the grill.
Well. Dad did all of the cooking, after I initially pushed that little green button. But still. This must count for something. Right?
My Pepere, my parents and I didn’t talk much during dinner.
I think this had something to do with the juicy grass fed burgers, the warm weather and the sunshine. Lovely.
Summer Squash and Zucchini Saute; on the grill
For health and wellness reasons, it’s a good idea to strive for at least 1-2 vegetarian meals a week. However, don’t stop there! And don’t feel that you need to exclude meat in order to reap all of those colorful benefits. Try including more vegetables with each meal, regardless of whether meat is being served or not. And then have fun sampling your way through all different kinds, such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, turnips, spaghetti squash, kohlrabi, tomatoes, etc. What you end up loving may surprise you! 😀
This is a simple way to include some extra veggies whenever you fire up the grill. Cook up some extra, then layer it on top of your favorite pizza for the following night. Enjoy! 😀
- 1 whole, medium summer squash, cut or sliced
- 1 whole, medium zucchini, cut or sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb blend…OR…garlic powder and sea salt…OR…italian seasoning
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Place squash, zucchini and onion on a large, doubled sheet of foil. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with seasonings. Stir gently.
- Fold edges of foil in and tightly seal the bundle. Place on grill over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until soft and tender, about 15 minutes. Enjoy! 😀
QUESTION: What foods “scream” summer to you?